Stay Connected

Monday 8 February 2016

Problematic skin

Since I was about 15 years old, I have been struggling with troubled skin on and off.  Many trips to the doctors soon determined that eczema was what I was dealing with, and I have since learned that eczema is not something that can be easily cured, however to a certain degree, it can be treated.  Doctors have told me that my eczema is a product of stress, which to some degree I suppose could be true. 
I was getting ready to sit my standard grade exams when my skin flared up for the first time.  My eyelids were red raw and cracked all over, my elbows and neck stinging and weeping from the scratching and clawing I was doing to my skin.  For the most part, the doctor’s prescriptions would clear up my breakouts, trying all sorts of creams, steroids, ointments and even antihistamines to ease the symptoms.  This would however only work for a couple of months before my skin was flared up to its painful and itchy state. 

During my first year of college, around about the time everything was getting ready to be handed in my first graded unit, I had a major breakout that resulted in me requiring antibiotics to clear away the infection.  My arms were red from my fingers to my shoulder blades, my neck weeping and bleeding, and my face tight and sore even with the slightest movement.  The problem had spread everywhere from my thighs, back, stomach and chest.  I had to take days off work and college, and spent most of that time curled up in loose clothing and towels, bathing in moisturiser to ease the pain.  I even went to the extreme of bathing in a bath of camomile tea to try and ease the itch after reading online it was meant to help.  It did nothing.  I wouldn’t recommend.  It took about a month for the symptoms to clear fully (with the help of the doctors prescriptions.. not the tea bath).   However we got there – many trips to the doctors later.  It was a horrible experience that I would not wish upon anyone.

The worst breakout I've had to date!
Since then, I’ve learned how to deal with eczema and I know now what kind of products to avoid to try and prevent any irritation.  I’ve tried many products during the last couple of years to ease my symptoms, not very many have worked I must say, however there are a few that have been my safe haven ever since that last breakout. 
Moisturiser is key is what I will say for now, and I can’t wait to share all of my favourite skin care products later.
Until the next one,

Lauren x

No comments:

Post a Comment