Stay Connected

Monday 13 June 2016

Cruelty Free Makeup

So if you read my June Lust List post from a couple of weeks past, you’ll know that I was starting to look into ensuring that all of my cosmetics and beauty purchases are cruelty free.  I’ve been a vegetarian for 8 months now, and I recently discovered that the majority of the brands that I use on a day to day basis are far from being suitable for vegetarians.  I have no idea why, but it had honestly never crossed my mind to look into this sooner.  I had assumed that testing on animals didn’t happen anymore – however that couldn’t be further from the truth.  So with this new information, I took it upon myself to do some research and went ahead and made all of the relevant changes.
The majority of my new make-up buys took the form of the Superdrug B. range – as this is a brand that I have used in the past and very much enjoyed!  Not only is this brand cruelty free, but they also pride themselves in being 100% suitable for vegans, which is pretty impressive for a relatively new brand.  Covering everything from nail polish to foundation to pallets – they legit have something for everyone regardless of their skin tone, type and preferred finish!

There was four items that I needed and two items I wanted: foundation, mascara, blusher and press powder being the needs and highlighter and concealer being the wants.  I picked a great time to decide to update my cosmetics too – as the B. make-up was marked down by 50%!  My first stop was the mascara – as I saw they only had the two varieties to choose from – waterproof or not.  As I had selected the non water proof and was scanning through the range – I spied an eye make-up palette that contained four eye shadows, a brow kit and a full size mascara for just £4.99.  The mascara I had in my hand cost £4.99 alone – so of course I wasn’t going to say no to that!  I’m not a eye shadow gal myself, and I’m not really in any need for a new brow kit – but this will keep until I run out making it a win-win situation! 
Next was the press powder – which is one of the items I’ve used in the past and have been very pleased with.   Packaged in a little compact format with a mirror for application, I picked this gem up for just £3.99 – which pleases me greatly as it is so big that I know this will do me for a solid month at least.
Blush was my next go to, however I became slightly distracted by another one of the face palette.  £4.99 for a reasonable sizing of press powder, foundation, concealer and highlighter – I got so excited by this that I actually forgot to pick up my blush and had to do another trip the next day.
As my closest store was all out of the foundations of the B. range – which is not surprising as these giant bottles were only £4.99 during this promotion (!) – I took a quick trip into the Superdrug in town the next day to see if I could get lucky.  Unfortunately it was the same story in this store too, however I did find myself a few gems that I could have missed out on had I not made the visit!
After a quick Google search when I was in store, I was delighted to find that Barry M are a cruelty free brand.  The packaging on the Flawless Matte Finish really appealed to me, and they had the most perfect shade for me too, so I just had to pick it up for the £5.99.  Back to the B. range and I was able to pick up their Whipped Blush for £3.99 as well as a Prepared Blemish Control Primer (£4.99) and a Beauty Blender (£4.99) – making my whole make up bag transformation a total of just £34.99 – which is really impressive considering that these are all high quality products that do not promote animal testing!
I’ll get round to telling you all a little but more about the products at some point in the near future, but for now I just wanted to show you all how easy it is to make the change when you do just a little bit of research – and that by making the change it doesn’t have to break the bank!  Some companies will charge up to £30 for one singular product – so the fact that I got my entire make up bag for just an extra £4.99 is something to brag about!

Have you tried out any of the B. range yet?  What’s your favourite?


Until the next one,

4 comments:

  1. Fab post! I look forward fo future posts to see whether you like these products! I'd been hesistant to use the B. Range because I fear of lack of quality.

    Tash
    www.nimblewhaleblog.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading :) I will hopefully have the next post up next week some time!
      So far I've really liked the B. Range, the mascara is amazing:)
      Lauren X

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. The beauty blender is amazing, it blends everything so smoothly! I would highly recommend, think it's about £3 right now in superdrug :)

      Delete